Thursday, March 26, 2015

Covering Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai for Netease News

My story about Chinese tourism in Chiang Mai for Spring Festival ran on Netease. Brewing tension between locals and Chinese tourists was set off when a Chinese tourist kicked an ancient bell at a famous temple on Doi Suthep the day I was there with a tour group. As I worked on this story, I became more and more aware of frustration, prejudice and even racism against Chinese among local merchants. Scandals and incredulous stories of egregious behavior by Chinese tourists in Chiang Mai were a dime a dozen. A story that I expected to be lighthearted and upbeat turned out to be more complex than I had realized.

 Here is a link to the images:

 http://news.163.com/photoview/3R710001/85605.html#p=AJP1KE033R710001

No comments:

Post a Comment